Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Rice Krispie Chocolate Chip Cookies


At school we're doing a celebration for Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), the Mexican celebration to honor their lost loved ones and remember them from October 31-November 2.

I asked students to bring in a picture of a lost loved one and candles/flowers/favorite food/sugar skulls/skeletons, etc.

Didn't they do a great job?
I thought that I needed to bring something in too.  So I decided to bring in a picture of my grandfather, really my step-grandfather, but the only grandfather I ever knew on that side.  I began to think of something to remember him by and I knew it had to be cookies, and it HAD to be rice krispie chocolate chip cookies.  Each time we went to stay at my grandma's house, my sister and I helped her make cookies and just as they were about to go in the oven my grandfather came running in from the farm and gobbled up all the cookie dough.  Looking back, it was definitely a game he played, but we were always so stressed out over the cookies going in the oven "before grandpa came home".

For those of you who like crispy cookies, these are for you!



Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup margarine or butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • eggs
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 cups rice krispie cereal
  • 1 package (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate morsels



  • Preheat oven to 350. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.




    Beat together margarine and sugar until smooth.





    Beat in eggs and vanilla.



    Add flour mixture, mixing until combined.


    Stir in cereal and chocolate chips.

    Drop by spoonful onto greased baking sheet.



    Bake at 350° F about 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove immediately from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.

    YUMMMY - so what did you think?  I am so reminded of grandpa!

    Pin It!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment