Monday, February 6, 2012

Painting bathroom cabinets

If you've talked to us lately, you know that all we've been doing is working on our bathroom!

There have been many parts to redoing the bathroom, (including wallpaper removal, can lights, framed mirror, and painting the cabinets).

So here's how to do it.  It's so easy, really very cheap, and makes a HUGE difference.

Don't forget..this is how it started...


Next, remove all doors and drawers.


Then, tape off where you'll be painting.


Because I was working over tile with water based paint, I didn't put down a drop cloth.  You might want to if the paint won't come off of your surface.

Then, take sandpaper and sand away!




Be sure to get any paint off that would chip away, and just rough up the surface.  Do it on the drawer faces and cabinets that are off as well.

Next, start painting!  I used the paint that has primer in it, so we did not put primer or Kilz on.  It eliminated one step.  However, I did have to put 4 coats of paint on.


I did 4 coats, because I'd rather do light paint a lot of times rather than have drips.  I am not a professional though.

Then remove the tape and it's already a huge difference!  But.. it needs doors and drawers!    We added some hardware to the front, it was a cheap way to make some more "wow" factor.  You can find bathroom hardware next to the towel bars at Lowe's or Home Depot.  I find it cheaper than the individual knobs sold by the kitchen stuff.




Put on your hardware!  Then start putting the doors and drawers back in!

And... then you have a new bathroom, when you only spent money on sandpaper, paint, and possibly hardware!!!!




I love it!!!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment